Monday, January 3, 2011

Visit to the Dermatologist

So, December 14th is finally here and I got to see the dermatologist. I couldn't sleep the night before I was kind of anxious and worried at the same time. What if he prescribe me Accutane? Is it going to permanently solve my acne problems? What if not? What am I suppose to do if he will not?


I went there and told him about my situation. Also, showed him my pictures at the worst time in the month where my forehead was full of red pimples. Then, he asked me to tell him my history of all the drugs/treatments I have been doing for acne. I told him all the over the counter and prescription medicines that I took; which included many face washes, different antibiotics, gels/creams and Accutane. He specifically asked me about Accutane which I told him I only took it for one month on low dose (10mg) per day. He said it's not enough to get rid of my acne. So, naturally I asked him for Acctuane. But he refused; instead gave me more gels/creams that I have used in the past. So what a waste of time!
My mom said I should not fill the prescription, which I agree. My mom suggested that I go see my primary care doctor again and see if he has anything else that will help. So we went on December 18th to see him. I waited over an hour to see him because he had so many patients. Well, it was good after all because at least he didn't say anything about it's going to go away and give me more gels/creams. He said that he thinks that birth control pill, more specifically Ortho Tri Cyclen is going to help with my problem. Come to think of it, my acne does tend to flare up significantly around the time of my period. Other times, my skin tends to heal and there are less acne. So, I got the Ortho Tri Cyclen the generic one Trinessa. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will have a beneficial effect on my skin. I will write another post on exactly how it is affecting me so far.

1 comment:

  1. so i found your blog via google (did a search about bare minerals and acne), and i don't have a blogger so i don't know how to send you a message. your story and mine sound sooo similar. i'm also 26 with problem skin for the last 8 years and have tried everything under the sun to get rid of it. i recently found this amazing product by bioelements, it's called kerafole. it's an exfoliating mask and in the first 7 days you use it every day as a 'purge' then once a week after that. it's not marketed for acne-prone skin, but i couldn't believe the difference that it made in my skin. i wound up doing the purge for almost 2 weeks because of the difference it was making. i'd never seen anything like it before. i would recommend using it at night though, definitely not before you're going to put any makeup on because it exfoliates your skin so much and makes it really soak in whatever you're putting on the skin after you rinse it off. i paired it up with the bioelements amino mask every few days in the morning, and it's been unbelievable. i've also been using a moisturizer (non drugstore brand is what my esthetician friends have told me because of the fillers) and it has helped a lot as far as the big cystic pimples go.

    i hope i'm not stepping on your toes on your own space, i just felt like i had to share because i completely understand what you're going through and i know what a desperate feeling it is to want to solve the problem. i hope the trinessa goes well, i'm sure it will be really effective, especially because it seems like your breakouts are hormone related! best of luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete