Sunday, August 7, 2011

How to choose a sunscreen sunblock for oily, combination and acne prone skin

Sunscreen / sunblock is essential for those that have light skin, eyes and hair. Those that have darker skin, eyes and hair tend to be more resistant to the damaging UV rays of the sun. People that have oily, combination and acne prone skin have a much difficult time with selecting the right sunscreen. The wrong kind of sun protection will clog pores and cause a nasty breakout. I know this very well because I had difficulties in selecting the right kind of sunscreen / sunblock for my oily problem prone skin.

There are two main categories of sunscreens / sunblocks, chemical and physical barrier. I personally prefer the physical barrier (zinc oxide and titanium dioxide) because I just think that it is better for the skin and is a very board spectrum (UV-A and UV-B). Here is a brief main characteristics for chemical and physical barrier sunscreens. Furthermore, physical barrier type of sunscreen are very good for those with sensitive oily skin. It is very gentle and will not cause irritation. And many people with oily skin know that most cheap sunscreen are not intended for us to use because it is oil based.

Makeup can be used in place of a sunscreen / sunblock for oily skin for normal exposure. Many different brands of makeup offer sunscreen SPF 15, 20 or 30 in their makeup. This makes it easier for those with oily, combination or acne prone skin because your makeup should not flare up your skin. I trust only bare minerals with my skin because of actual good experience with it. I am not afflicted with them at all and only recommend what works best for my skin. A little bit background, my skin is not only oily / acne prone, it is super sensitive as well.

Powder sunscreens / sunblocks are best for oily, combination and acne prone skin. The creams tend to irritate your skin much more than a powder. All natural mineral powder sunscreens are some of the best alternative to traditional cream based sunscreen. The one from Bare minerals is highly recommended by me because I have used it myself. It is a physical barrier type of sunscreen; and I firmly stand by physical barrier types that uses both zinc oxide and titanium dioxide as active ingredients. It is board spectrum and will definitely shield you from both UV-A and UV-B radiation. However, you should supplement this sunscreen / sunblock with another one that contains either zinc oxide or avobenone for more UV-A protection.  You must have both UV-A and UV-B protection!!
What I recommend is only good for little to normal sun exposure.  If you are in the sun for extended period of time, I recommend a water resistant sunscreen / sunblock.  You will still have to re-apply every 20 minutes to be save.  Those that are water resistant are cream based, just remember to select the ones that says that they don't clog pores.

Another thing with oily, combination and acne prone skin is to wear a very light moisturizer to balance the oil production. This sounds counter productive. However, the reason that the skin produces so much oil is to hydrate the skin. If your skin thinks that it is already hydrated, it will produce less oil. I personally believe this because nowadays I never leave the house without moisturizer and it has significantly improved my oiliness. The trick is to find a very good moisturizer for your skin. I personally recommend two brands, Neutrogena and Bare minerals. I am not afflicted with any of them but everything is from personal experience. Sunscreen / sunblock should be put on top of your moisturizer.

No comments:

Post a Comment